Sunday, March 1, 2009

First thoughts on March 1, 2009

As I sit here and get into the "blogging world" like so many other people before me, I start to think that this is like a diary of sorts that you get to write whatever you are thinking, the only difference is that everyone in the world can read it.

So here I sit on Sunday night a little after 11, one of my two dogs are wide awake, my guess is that it's my yellow lab ... yep it's Max ... but he went to go join his brother in the dog room that soon will become little Joel's room, and no, the boys won't be too happy about that but they are just going to have to deal with it.

After having a little bit of time to digest what happened on Thursday, watching my 11 year career at the Rocky Mountain News flash right before my eyes as some jerk from Scripps says "Tomorrow will be the Rocky's last edition" (of course don't quote me exactly on those exact words, I didn't have a pen a paper in hand, yes, bad journalism I know but sue me).

The best way for me to tell people how I feel about that is think of something that you have given 110 percent to for an extended amount of time and then one day someone comes to you and says "You're done, you won't have that thing anymore." That's how I feel, that I gave the Rocky 11 years of my life, my heart and my soul to have one person walk in and say your done. It sucks. I don't know how long it'll take me to get over it, if I ever do.

Now my second thought of the night is that not matter how down I get about life, I've got my wonderful and caring wife Jill and my soon-to-be son, Joel (yea!!) there to cheer me up. I can't wait to be able to feel my son kick my hand when I have it on Jill's stomach. Just the other night, well, it was more like morning, we both were laying there and I had my hand on her stomach and she said that she felt Joel kicking at my hand ... first thing that came to mind was that I didn't feel anything, then the second was that little turd is kicking my hand! Oh well, what do you do huh?

I'll stop here for tonight, there's plenty of stuff on my mind but I think for the first blog I'll keep it someone short.

Good night and see everyone on the flip side.

2 comments:

  1. Your going to make me cry! Poor Nick! I'm sure things will get better soon. It is good that you can still see the good things you have going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling Nick, you will land on your feet. I know that it is difficult right now to see that, but you are an incredible person with many many talents. I know that you will be OK. And you're right, you are surrounded by people who adore you and will be there with you no matter what happens. I love you! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete